The Lafayette Hotel cottages were originally named the Weightman Cottage. It stood at Franklin and Washington Streets, the current site of the Cape May Post Office. It was constructed for Philadelphian chemist William Weightman, Sr. and moved to Ocean and Beach Avenue in 1881. It operates today as Angel of the Sea Bed and Breakfast.
Information from Summer City by the Sea by Emil R. Salvini
The Chalfonte Hotel has been in continuous operation since 1876. This year, it celebrates its 139th season. The hotel was built and established by Civil War Union Colonel Henry Sawyer and features Southern-style cuisine in its house restaurant, The Magnolia Room.
Cape May offers a variety of historic accommodations, including Bed and Breakfast Inns, Guest Houses, and Historic Hotels.
What hotel was established in 1876 and is recognized as the oldest continually operating hotel on the East Coast?
Leave your guess in the comments. We’ll reveal the answer tomorrow.
Cape May’s Iron Pier, constructed in 1884 by the Phoenix Iron Company, extended over 1,000 feet over the ocean. Its 8,000 square-foot pavilion provided dancing space, with sport-fishing facilities on the lower level.
Photographs: Source unknown. Information on the pier taken from Summer City by the Sea by Emil R. Salvini.
Featured in yesterday’s mystery photo is 429 Beach Avenue.
The restaurants have gone by many names over the years: The first floor was once Gloria’s, and later Summers and Cheetah’s. It went by Shipwreck and Katie’s Irish Pub before taking its current name, Cabanas Beach Bar and Grille. Upstairs was called Maureen before it changed to Martini Beach, which was a popular bar and restaurant for the last decade. Last summer, Martini Beach was renamed M’Ocean. (And that’s not even an exhaustive list. Phew.)