Bicycle Regulations & Restrictions
New Jersey State Bicycling Regulations
NJ State Bicycling FAQs / Tips
- In New Jersey, anyone under 17 years of age must wear a safety helmet, whether you are riding a bicycle or are a passenger on a bicycle, or are towed as a passenger by a bicycle. (Title 39:4-10.1)
- Bicycles must ride in the same direction as cars and are expected to adhere to the same laws as motorists, including stopping at red lights and stop signs
- Bicyclists, like motorists, must yield the right of way to pedestrians
- Ride, park or take any bicycle from May 1 to October 31 except between the hours of 4:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m.
- Bicycles are not allowed on the Washington Street Mall