More than 2.5 million visitors have climbed the lighthouse since it opened to the public in 1988. For those who choose not to climb, the Oil House on the grounds contains a fully accessible Visitors’ Orientation Center and Museum Shop carrying souvenirs, books, and maritime items.
The Army Corps of Engineers began construction on the Cape May Lighthouse in 1857. The cost was $40,000. The present tower, the third documented lighthouse at the southern tip of New Jersey, has always been an attention-getting landmark as well as an aid-to-navigation for mariners. It was first lit in 1859. Because it is adjacent to the community of Cape May Point and just two miles from the city of Cape May, NJ, it has drawn visitors throughout its history.
Tickets are available to climb the lighthouse. Visit Cape May MAC’s website for more information and times.