CapeMay.com Blog

Keeping Your Pet Safe From Toxins, Part 2

Last month we talked about several things that are toxic to pets. A rather newly discovered animal toxin is xylitol, an additive to sugarless gums and candies.

Xylitol is a crystalline sugar alcohol that is used as a sugar substitute sweetener, the use of which has increased rapidly over the past few years. Xylitol is different and not toxic to humans because in humans it is absorbed slowly, whereas in animals it is absorbed rapidly. That quick absorption in dogs created strong release of insulin, causing hypoglycemia and possible liver failure, bleeding and death. As little as 0.1g can cause a toxic reaction.

Watch to make sure your dog doesn’t ingest foods containing xylitol. Especially watch when walking that your dog does not pick up and ingest gum dropped on the street or sidewalk or grass. If your pet does ingest any toxin, get the animal to the vet immediately. Diagnosis will be made based on history of items ingested, symptoms, and blood work. Look for signs such as vomiting, lethargy, weakness, diarrhea, collapse, and seizures. Quick action is the only hope for a good prognosis. And the best action is prevention.

For more information, contact the ASPCA Poison Control Center at 888-4-ANI-HELP!!

REMINDER!! Leaving your pet in the car, even with windows down, is deadly in summer heat and sun. Temperatures rise significantly and quickly and those temperatures kill. Take your pet with you when you get out of the car, or leave your pet home/in your rented accommodations. It’s safer for everyone!!

Now that the weather is great, have a “Yappy Hour.” Invite 4 and 2 legged friends over and enjoy some treats, beverages, and friendly socializing. Be sure to have a large bowl of water, and let the good times roll!

Merle's DoorSuggested Good Read of the Month: Merle’s Door by Ted Kerasote

This is a wonderful, loving story. Also has some very interesting and helpful, research based information which you will enjoy and use!

Relax and Enjoy!