April 12 Easter Stroll – Cape May Mayor Edward Mahaney brought the Easter Stroll back to the Washington Street Mall this year. The resu7lt was a wonderful turnout, despite heavy winds.
May 16 opening of World War II Lookout Tower. Fire Control Tower No. 23 was part of the immense Harbor Defense of the Delaware system known as Fort Miles. Built in 1942, the tower was one of fifteen concrete lookout towers that helped aim batteries of coastal artillery. With the Tower restored, visitors can climb to the sixth floor observation platform at the top and see equipment used to determine firing coordinates for massive guns on both sides of the Delaware Bay.
May 12 West Cape May Installation of Officers. Election winners and family members are ( l-r) Mayor Pam Kaithern’s daughters Kaleigh and Emaleigh, husband Chip and Mayor Kaithern at center. Incumbent Commissioner Peter and newly elected Commissioner Ramsey Geyer at right.
June 9 Strawberry Festival
Cape May’s 4th of July Parade
August 5 Queen Maysea crowning. Queen Maysea LXXVII is Bridget Elizabeth Martin (at top). The coronation was presided over by Mary Stewart, director of Outreach for the Mid-Atlantic Center for the Arts. Mayor Ed Mahaney presented the crown and assorted tiaras. Pictured below Queen Maysea are Madison Shiffbauer, Elise Heim.
August 27 400th Play. In honor of the 400th anniversary of Henry Hudson’s “discovery” of Cape May, the East Lynne Theater Company mounted a one-night only production written and starring the Right Honorable Judge Sir Frank Visser, aka, “The Driving Judge.” The Netherlands’ version of Judge Judy came to Cape May to perform in his play the People of Cape May v. Johan Van Buren under the direction of ELTC Artistic Director Gayle Stahlhuth.
August 28: Italian Birders Win 400th Car “Contest.” These birding visitors from a town outside of Venice must have thought they were being arrested when the Cape May police pulled them over as they crossed the bridge at Schellenger’s Landing. But no, according to the boy scouts who kept count at 7 a.m. August 28, they were driving the 400th car to cross into Cape May and in honor of the 400th anniversary of Henry Hudson’s “discovery” of Cape May as his sail boat, the Half Moon, got stuck in a sand barge.
October 10 Lima Bean Fest
October 26 Halloween Parade
October 31 Cape May Lighthouse celebrates 150th anniversary.Visitors, veterans and dignitaries gathered at the base of the 150-foot Cape May Lighthouse to celebrate its 150th anniversary and its third known configuration. The first known Cape May lighthouse was commissioned in 1822. Twenty-four years later, however, erosion threatened its very existence and a new lighthouse to be built on higher ground was commissioned in 1847. However, its construction and inferior equipment necessitated a new one be built in 1857.
November 7 naming of the Cape May Veteran’s Memorial Bridge. Veterans, dignitaries and members of the U.S. Coast Guard assembled under the Lower Township Bridge to rededicate the bridge. Forty nine years ago on November 5, 1960 this bridge in Lower Township over the Cape May Canal at the end of the Garden State Parkway was dedicated without a name. Members of the 400th Committee (formed to coordinate events celebrating the 1609 discovery by Henry Hudson of what came to be known as Cape May) were behind the effort to name the bridge – a victim of political in-fighting 49 years ago.
Mid-November Nor’Easter. A powerful Nor’easter sent heavy winds and rain to Cape May and much of the East Coast.
November 15: West Cape May celebrates its 125th anniversary. Longtime residents and friends gathered at the West Cape May Fire Hall to celebrate the borough’s 125 year anniversary.
44th Annual West Cape May Christmas Parade