Get that B&B vibe at home with this easy baked Coconut French Toast recipe from Leslie at The Mooring B&B! Prepare it the night before, and simply pop it into a pre-heated oven the next morning. Serve with Sweet & Spicy Sausages.
Coconut French Toast
- 1 loaf good Italian or French bread, thickly sliced
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (about half a can)
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 tbsp cold butter, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Spray a 10×14 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Fit bread slices into pan, not leaving too much room between slices.
- Beat eggs, sugar, extract and milks together. Ladle mixture over bread in pan, making sure that each slice is soaked. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Mix together flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles peas. Stir in coconut and nuts. Top bread slices with the crumb mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until topping browns and edges of bread are beginning to crisp.
Sweet & Spicy Sausages
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp anise seeds
- 1 package breakfast sausage links (thawed if frozen)
- Mix the sugar and spices together and store in an airtight container.
- When you’re ready to serve the sausage, roll the links in the sugar and spice mixture; arrange in a baking dish and bake in a preheated 350-400 degree oven for 10 or 15 minutes, or until cooked through (if fresh) and nicely browned, turning halfway through baking time so they brown evenly.
About The Mooring
The Mooring B&B, located on Stockton Avenue, was built as a guest house in 1882. It offers eight rooms and two suites, each with a mix of period antiques and contemporary furnishings. Daily breakfast choices include one of Leslie’s signature French Toasts (like the one above!) or eggs cooked to order. themooring.com