Long before whalers and yeomen of European descent came to New Jersey’s lower cape peninsula, Native Americans lived on its sandy shores. He recently gave a fireside lecture on the history of Native Americans in the county, held at the Museum of Cape May County. As a tribal legend keeper, Chief Robert Redfeather Stevenson, of… Read more »
The Lafayette Hotel cottages were originally named the Weightman Cottage. It stood at Franklin and Washington Streets, the current site of the Cape May Post Office. It was constructed for Philadelphian chemist William Weightman, Sr. and moved to Ocean and Beach Avenue in 1881. It operates today as Angel of the Sea Bed and Breakfast.… Read more »
Cape May’s Iron Pier, constructed in 1884 by the Phoenix Iron Company, extended over 1,000 feet over the ocean. Its 8,000 square-foot pavilion provided dancing space, with sport-fishing facilities on the lower level. Photographs: Source unknown. Information on the pier taken from Summer City by the Sea by Emil R. Salvini.
Seagars, at 411 Washington Street, and Brown’s Millinery and Dry Goods. This is the block where Beach Bums and Casale’s stand today. Based on the car out front, we estimate this photograph is approximately 90 years old.
The Cape May Daily Wave office stood at 512 Washington Street (where Kohr Bros and Coldwell Banker are today). According to the Library of Congress, the Daily Wave published from July 1865 to 1907, under publisher C.S. Magrath. [source]